2018 AHA Holiday Social!
Aloha AHA members,
The cost is:
$35 AHA Members
$40 Non Member
$25 Student Members
Parking is free! Guests are welcome.
If you don’t know your “membership” status, please email Ju Sun at firstname.lastname@example.org for confirmation!
Aloha & Mahalo for your patience!
Handling and Care Workshop
Registration for the second workshop in the Handling and Care Series is up. Malia Van Heukelem will lead an introduction on disaster planning and response for collections. It will be split between a presentation with questions and answers and a brief hands-on salvage exercise.The event will be held in the Moir Reading Room at the UH Hamilton Library Archives and Manuscript Department on Saturday, October 20th, 2018 from 9 a.m. to noon.
Workshop is free for current members and limited to 15 participants. Please register here.
After registering, AHA Board member Nicki Garces will provide a confirmation email and future emails re: this workshop. Please direct any questions to her at email@example.com.
Instructor Bio: Malia was hired last December as Art Archivist Librarian for the Jean Charlot Collection and the Archive of HawaiiArtists & Architects, at the University of Hawaii. Previously, she was a preservation management specialist at Hamilton Library and collections manager for both the Hawaii State Foundation on Culture and the Arts’ Art in Public Places Program and ‘Iolani Palace.
February 15-16, 2019
Call for Presentation Proposals
The Association of Hawaiʻi Archivists will hold its 30th Annual Meeting February 15-16, 2019, at the BYU-Hawaiʻi Ballroom in Laʻie, Oʻahu. The Annual Meeting Committee invites presentation proposals on all areas of archival practice and research and from allied fields. We are especially interested in proposals that align with the 2019 theme, Preserving Collections, Ensuring Access.
We seek proposals from graduate students, paraprofessionals, cultural professionals, archivists, collection managers, or other interested cultural experts or academics work- ing in the Archive and Museum fields. Our goal is to encourage a wide range of voices at the AHA Annual Meeting that speaks to preserving materials in our collections and ensuring access for our patrons in the state of Hawaiʻi.
- Each presenter will have 15 or 30 minutes to present on proposed topic.
- Presenters need not be an AHA member to present at the Annual Meeting.
- Presenters are encouraged to use PowerPoint or other presentation software.
- AHA will cover each presenter’s Annual Meeting registration fee.Presentation proposals will be accepted up until 8:00pm on Sunday, December 30th. Proposals will be evaluated by the AHA Annual Meeting Committee. Successful applicants will receive a notification of acceptance by Tuesday, January 1st, 2019.
- SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL HERE: https://aha2019.busyconf.com/proposals/new
- We look forward to hearing from you! For questions regarding the proposal process, please contact Gailyn Bopp, Annual Meeting Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ASSOCIATION OF HAWAIʻI ARCHIVISTS
Developing A Presentation Topic
Our theme Preserving Collections, Ensuring Access is one that touches nearly every aspect of the archival and collection management field. The work YOU do can inspire, educate, and encourage continued care for our materials and heightened access by our communities.
When developing presentation topics, consider the following areas or create your own!
- Preservation / Conservation reports
- “Challenge” pieces in collections
- Role of communities in enhancing the care and understanding of collections
- Digitization: tools, software, reports, collaborations
- Overcoming storage space issues (physical and digital)
- Acquisitions—where we collect, how we collect, how do we balance information in our collection to “tell the whole story”
- Work flows and Processes—archives management, team management, project management
- ¨Metadata and Description—incorporating Hawaiian language into metadata and cataloging, involving communities in providing metadata, organizing acquired metadata, content management
- Patron access—fees, forms, formats and avenues for sharing stories in our collection (social media, outreach, exhibits)
- Archival services— independent contracting and grant work Join us for the 30th Association of Hawaii Archivists Annual Meeting. Submit your proposal today!
2018 AHA Annual Meeting:
(February 17th 2018: Optional “Holo holo” Day)
Registration closed! February 17th-18th, 2018
University of Hawaii Maui College Library, Kahului, Maui
Our Annual Holiday Social at the First Unitarian Church of Honolulu, 2500 Pali Hwy, Honolulu, HI 96817 was Sunday December 3, 2017 from 2:00pm-4:00pm. It was a buffet style lunch with lots and lots of yummy mouth-savoring food from A Catered Experience:
- Assorted Sushi (Maki, Teppo Maki, Inari)
- Assorted Grilled Fresh Vegetables with Asian Aioli
- Thai Summer Rolls with Sweet Chili Sauce
- Sliced Roast Beef on Potato Rolls with Mustard, Mayonnaise & Horseradish
- Assorted Canapés (Smoked Salmon Mousse on Cucumber Rounds with Capers, Cherry Tomatoes with Lomi Salmon Garlic/Herb Cream Cheese in Snow Peas, Deviled Eggs)
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
- Crab Cakes with Wasabi Caper Sauce
- Char Siu Pork on Ho Yeh Buns with Plum Sauce
- With added vegetarian options and dessert & drinks
The event was a great success!
- January 12th: AHA board meeting
- February 9th: AHA board meeting
- February 18, 2017 AHA Annual Meeting
- March 15: AHA board meeting
- April 26: AHA board meeting
- May 18: AHA board meeting
- June 12, 2017 AHA Site Visit to Hawai’i Plantation, 10:00 AM, Waipahu, HI
- June 21: AHA board meeting
- August 19: AHA board meeting
- September 20: AHA board meeting
- October 18: AHA board meeting
- Welo H’aheo, An Exhibition of Hawaiian Royal Flags: October 21, 2017 10:00AM-4:00pm KS Kapalama Campus
- HSA Presents Lili’uokalani-Her Life, Her Legacy, Her Words: October 27, 2017 1:00PM – 3:00PM at the Hawaii State Archives
- January 14th: AHA board meeting
- February 11th: AHA board meeting [Cancelled]
- Annual meeting with “Collections Quandaries” theme, February 13, 2016
- March 17: AHA board meeting
- April 14: AHA board meeting
- May 12: AHA board meeting
- May 29: DAS Webinar – Providing Access to Born Digital Archives
- June 9: AHA board meeting
- June 10: DAS Workshop – Managing Electronic Records in Archives and Special Collections
- June 18: Honolulu Fire Museum Site Visit
- July 1: Site visit to the Punahou School archives and 175th anniversary exhibit
- July 10: DAS Webinar – Intro. to Processing Digital Records and Manuscripts
- July 14: AHA board meeting
- August 3: Academy of Certified Archivists’ (ACA) Exam
- August 11: AHA board meeting
- September 8: AHA board meeting
- October 13: AHA board meeting
- October 28: Hawaii State Archives Open House
- November 10: AHA board meeting
- November 15: POWRR Digital Workshop, UH Manoa, Hamilton Library
- November 18: POWRR Digital Workshop, UH Palamanui, Kona, Hi.
- December 8: AHA board meeting
- December 11: AHA Holiday Social
- January 11th: DVD viewing of The Field Guide to Emergency Response
- February 10th: AHA board meeting
- February 14th-15th: AHA Annual meeting on Hawai‘i Island
- March 1st: DAS webinar- Standards for Digital Archives
- March 12th: AHA board meeting
- March 18th: AHA President speaks to SAA-SC on professional memberships
- March 28th: AHA Site visit to the Scottish Rite Cathedral and Masonic Public Library
- March 30th – 31st: SAA workshops- Arrangement and Description of Electronic Records parts I and II
- April 12th: Community Libraries Day
- April 16th: AHA board meeting
- May 1st: DAS webinar- Electronic Records- the Next Step
- May 7th: AHA board meeting
- June 4th: AHA board meeting
- June 7th: DAS webinar- Thinking Digital
- June 9th: International Archives Day
- July 9th: AHA board meeting
- July 19th: DAS webinar- Collections Management Systems
- July 28th: Site visit to NOAA Inouye Regional Center Libraries on Ford Island
- August 13th: AHA board meeting
- August 19th: Academy of Certified Archivists exam
- September 10th: AHA board meeting
- September 26th: Archival Outreach Workshop with NHIL at QLCC
- National Archive Awareness Month- #askanarchivist Day
- October 10th: Electronic Records Day
- October 15th: AHA board meeting
- November 10th: DAS Comprehensive Examination
- November 12th: AHA board meeting
- December 10th: AHA board meeting
- Holiday Social at Natsunoya Tea House, December 13th